Thursday, January 12, 2012

Glorified Chicken

This week I did something I've never done before- cooked dinner on the first night of session!  That's a big deal for me.  It is rare for me to have time to cook during session and for whatever reason I was wanting this...

I am pretty sure this is not an "old family" recipe- but my Mom used to cook this for us and for whatever reason, the chicken seemed special. 

I promised not to "healthy" up the recipes- but I am trying to lose 30 lbs this session so I added some veggies that my Mom NEVER added to the dish.  I will admit that I really liked it- so did my father-in-law. 

 Drizzle olive oil in a deep skillet and heat. 

Season the chicken with garlic salt and your preferred seasoning- my Mom always used Nature's Seasoning 

 I decided to use frozen spinach this time- honestly- it did not change the flavor one bit.  We couldn't even taste the spinach- so I guess that was free vitamins.  Below I demonstrate how I use paper towels to squeeze out the water from the thawed spinach.

 Brown the chicken on both sides- do not worry about cooking the chicken thoroughly- just get both sides good and brown.  Higher heat and a good skillet helps achieve the pretty color. 
 Since I wanted to add veggies (and this saved me from making a salad too) I took the chicken breasts out (once browned, not cooked) and added more olive oil.  I then sauteed the veggies till cooked through. 
 After the veggies are cooked (or if you don't want to use veggies the chicken is browned) add back the chicken and then add the magic ingredient- Cream of Chicken Soup!  Yes- I know, cream of anything is considered the bane of real cooking- but there is a reason why it is so popular and used so frequently.  It is an easy way to make a sauce or add flavor to a dish.  If you are worried about fat, sodium, etc- buy the variety that addresses that concern.  I used 2 cans for this dish.
Once you add the Cream of Chicken soup cover the skillet and reduce to medium-low heat for 25-30 minutes. 

 Serve over rice and enjoy!! 

Glorified Chicken
- 3 to 5 chicken breasts or thighs
- Garlic Salt
- Nature's Seasonings
- 2 cans of Cream of Chicken soup
- Veggies as desired
- Olive oil 

1 comment: