Sunday, January 29, 2012

Squash Casserole

One of my favorite "veggie" dishes growing up was squash casserole.  But really, how could it not be? Cheese, butter, ritz crackers and some squash and onions thrown in.  What made squash casserole extra special to me was that it was always with squash from Granny's garden. 

This particular squash casserole I made is extra special.  After talking with my Granny on the way home from work she mentioned she had cooked some for my Aunt who recently had a stroke.  Since she had sent some frozen squash home with us at Christmas I decided to go home and make some for us.  When I got home I discovered that our freezer was out- so it was a lucky find and $240 later we didn't lose any food. 


The first step is to cut cheese into small squares.  I used about a half (maybe a little more) of Velveeta.  A trick I learned somewhere is to use dental floss to easily cut through cheese like this.  However the only kind I had was mint and didn't think it would blend in the dish well.  


After you have your cheese cut, boil your squash (I used a quart bag- or about 8 sml/med squash if using fresh) and onions.  I used a whole onion - but you can use less if desired.  I boiled the mixture for twenty minutes.  

A trick I learned on Pintrest- place a wooden spoon over the boiling pot to keep it from boiling over.  It worked!

While your squash is boiling- squish up your Ritz crackers.  I used one of the small packages this time.  

Once the squash is boiled, drain and put in a baking dish.  (Size depends on how thick you want the casserole- I used a 9x9)  Add your cheese and a 1/2 stick of butter.  Mix thoroughly and sprinkle the top with the crackers.  Bake at 325 for 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.  


Squash Casserole
- 1 package of frozen squash
- 1 yellow onion
- Velveeta Cheese (to taste)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 package of Ritz crackers

*Boil squash and chopped onions for 20 minutes (salt if desired)
* Drain thoroughly
* Add diced cheese and butter
* Mix until evenly combined
* Sprinkle with crackers
* Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until brown

No comments:

Post a Comment