Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My Southern Family Cooks

So many of the best memories in my life revolve around food- and while I realize that is probably true for many people- I like to think that food is more than the body's building blocks (and yes, I am pretty sure that thought is part of the reason I'm overweight).  Growing up in the South means lots of things- but for me it meant family dinners every night and rarely crossing a restaurant's front door.  It means recipes that have been passed down from generation to generation and traditions that revolve around food. 

This Christmas Jim and I went to Tennessee to visit my family and I realized that my grandparents are getting old (sorry Granny).  Since some of the best memories with my Granny involve cooking- I wanted to do something to honor her and her generation. When setting a nice table, and serving good food was considered normal- not a rarity.

I hope you enjoy this blog- where I plan to document my family's recipes and I promise not to make them "diet friendly".

My Southern Granny- Maylene Floyd- with my Papa on their 50th Wedding Anniversary
Y'all come back now- ya here!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great work Sharon!

    I consider myself to be a fair cook of recipes that my mom,grandma and grandpa passed along to me that they weren't even aware of passing along. Just watched and listened. My grandma Rena did teach me how to make perfect gravy though. My grandpa cooked many items including hoghead cheese, butcher stew and fried tripe. My grandma couldn't stand the stuff!

    He loved cooking venison stew and rice, hoe cakes and oyster stew. He was also a Mess Sergeant in Italy during WW II

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike- if you end up following the blog you will notice that many of dishes have no exact measurements because of the same thing. I just watched and listened and asked an occasional question. Took me forever to master gravy and biscuits!

    ReplyDelete